The Professional Writers Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A gathering place for writers

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Cheryl's 2011 Goals

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 10:06 am

It has been such a crazy week I am just posting this now. I've gotten a lot done, but still feeling a bit overwhelmed.

* Blogging Monday through Friday--DONE
* Work on May VBTs--almost done
* Work on June VBTs--slow progress
* One critiques--DONE
* Submit Chapter 3 of HYH to crit group--DONE
* Spring issue of Pages & Pens
* April W2W article

Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 7:32 am

Gee, it's Wednesday already. Where did the week go? Here's what's on tap:

* Work on May VBTs--almost done
* Work on June VBTs--slow progress
* Submit Chapter 3 of HYH to second crit group--DONE
* Spring issue of Pages & Pens--in progress
* April W2W article--DONE
* Review spring kid's books--several are done, more waiting to be posted
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 7:35 am

I'm getting better. It's only Tuesday before I post this. Happy I have a lot to do for the next two months. Our family is going to Disney the first week of June, so I have to get all my book tours ready. I don't want to work while we're away.

Here's what I have on tap this week:

* Work on May VBTs--DONE
* Work on June VBTs--making progress
* Work on July VBT--right now there is only one and I would love for it to stay that way
* Spring issue of Pages & Pens--in progress
* Review spring kid's books--3 left
* Figure out how to participate in National Picture Book Writing Week May 1st - 7th
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 9:28 am

Update on 2011 goals

I started off the year with these goals in mind:

1. Finish the first draft of Amelia's Mission by the end of March--This didn't happen, but the ghostwriting project I thought was dead came to pass and I am focusing on that. I have 14 chapters of Amelia's Mission written.

2. Work on at least 2 of the picture book ideas I came up with during Picture Book Idea Month--I should be working on these next week for National Picture Book Writing Week.

3. Finalize submission and query letter for first chapter reader and submit to the publisher who expressed interest in it by the end of January--Completed this in February and am waiting to hear from publisher.

4. Would love to write an inspirational romance novella to submit to White Rose Publishing.--Still would love to do this, just haven't had time to shape the idea, and am really concentrating on the children's market right now.

New goal: Complete Hold Your Horses (ghostwriting project) by July 31, 2011.

I'm proud of the progress I made so far and am optimistic I can check off one or two of these before the end of the year.

UPDATE 5/9/2011: Goal #2 is DONE! I wrote 6 new picture books last week. cheers

Last edited by ccmalandrinos on Mon May 09, 2011 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 9:32 am

Gee, have I been leading by bad example or what? I can't believe I didn't update my goals lately. Well, in all fairness, last week was the week from h-e-double toothpicks, and I also participated in National Picture Book Writing Week, so I had no free time at all.

May VBTs started and I'm struggling to put together June's. I'm moving forward on my ghostwriting project and I managed to complete the first drafts for 6 new picture books last week.

Here's what's on tap this week:

* Blogging Monday through Friday
* Work on June VBTs--in just the span of a few days, most of these are done
* Work on July VBT--right now there is only one and I would love for it to stay that way
* Spring issue of Pages & Pens--I can't seem to get to this, not sure where to fit it in
* Figure out how to participate in National Picture Book Writing Week May 1st - 7th--DONE
* Submit to critique group--DONE
* Critique one submission--DONE
Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptySat May 14, 2011 10:03 am

Always working hard, of course. Good for you, and good to see you accomplishing your goals. Keep it up, girl!
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 9:05 pm

Oh man, what a month this has been. I think I am going to erase May 2011 from the calendar. No sleep, sick kids, and giving a 3-day writing workshop on top of tours. Sound fun?

Here's what's going on this week:

* Work on June VBTs--need to send out 1 more schedule, write press release, and submit
* Work on July VBT--keeping it at one that I am slowly working on
* Spring issue of Pages & Pens--Determined to get this done before vacation
* Submit to critique group--DONE
* Critique one submission
Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:51 am

The good news is May is nearly finished. One more week to go and you'll be home free. And it looks like you've got a good grip on June and July. That'll be your slower/break time so you can focus on all those stories and picture books you have on the back burner.
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 7:32 am

I hope so. I need more writing time. I am thinking of self-publishing a couple of the picture books I worked on at the beginning of the month. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

A stomach virus killed my productivity this week, but I'll have a few days in between May tours ending and when we fly to Florida to catch up.

* Work on June VBTs--need to send out 1 more schedule, write press release, and submit
* Spring issue of Pages & Pens--Determined to get this done before vacation (really don't know about this)
* Critique two subs--DONE
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyTue May 31, 2011 9:11 am

Well, we're leaving for Disney on Thursday, so you won't hear from me much. I feel like I am in decent shape, though I won't get done everything I wanted to.

* Blogging
* Work on June VBTs--DONE
* Spring issue of Pages & Pens--will deal with when I return, making it a spring/summer issue
* Critique two subs--DONE

While away, I plan to write Chapter 4 of Hold Your Horses. Maybe Chapter 5 if I have time. I'll also read a couple of books as time allows. This is the first vacation I'm taking without my laptop, so we'll see what I accomplish.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyTue May 31, 2011 9:23 am

Wow! A real vacation - that sounds excellent. I'm sure you'll have a blast, too. How long will you be gone? Anything in particular you're looking forward to? Are you going to Disney in Florida or LA?

I think it's very important to take time off - and to allow yourself the time off. I actually took Sunday and Monday off and I seriously had to ask my husband if it was ok if I didn't do work yesterday because I have such a hard time not feeling guilty when I could be working.

Anyway, it sure sounds like you've got a bunch of stuff you'd like to get done, but if you don't that's ok and just enjoy yourself. Don't forget, there's a ton of work that goes into trip preparation.
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyTue May 31, 2011 12:31 pm

We'll be gone for a week to Florida. I haven't had a non-working vacation in four years. It's about time. I'm looking forward to watching the girls see Disney for the first time. I remember bringing our son and it's great to watch their eyes light up.

I'm hoping to take in the classic rides: Pirates of the Carribean, Small World, Space Mountain, etc. We'll start off in the Magic Kingdom, spend a good part of the next day in the Animal Kingdom, and then a day and a half at the Studios and then onto Epcot, maybe take in a water park, and then finish our week off at Magic Kingdom. We'll get there late on Thursday, so we won't go to the parks. We'll check out Downtown Disney and get supper there.

Not sure how much reading and writing I'll get done, but I really don't want to take anything away from the family.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 11:37 am

That sounds fantastic! I hope you're having a marvelous time. I haven't been to Disney World in about 8 years, but I went to Disneyland all the time growing up (since I'm from southern CA). Great times. I'm hoping to go when we're in town for Thanksgiving, but you never know.... :)

And I hope you're not working too hard. Non-working vacations are important and so is family time.
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 8:30 pm

We had a great time, but I was worried with all the tornadoes blowing through that our flight would be delayed. When we left the house for the airport, we still didn't have power. Many neighboring communities have whole areas that are destroyed. It will take months to clean up. Now that we're home, I'll have to see what I can do to assist with some of that.

I'm giving myself until Monday to get fully back into the swing of things.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 10:29 am

Glad to hear your family and your home are safe.

I'm also thrilled you enjoyed your vacation. Time off and recharging are important, even for us writers...
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 7:48 am

Had this all typed out and then it disappeared. Ugh!

Recharging took a bit longer than usual, hence no to-do list last week. Came home with bronchitis and I have no energy at all. Still managed to get reviews, blogging, two critiques, and two chapters of Hold Your Horses done.

Here's what's on tap this week:

* Blogging - Mon - Sat
* Work on July VBT--almost done. Need to create group press release, banner, and trailer.
* Spring issue of Pages & Pens--considering going to bi-annual issues or discontinuing. I can't do it all myself and even when I have a few contributions, I don't have the time to create it.
* Critique two subs
* Work on August, September, and October VBTs--in progress
* Make time to look into new biz venture
Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 3:27 pm

Being sick is no fun, but at least you got sick after your vacation and not during. Good for you getting all that done while you were under the weather - that's important if you want to be successful in this business. The work still needs to get done, deadlines and all that jazz, and you still did it.

Wow. You're doing Pages & Pens nearly by yourself? That's gotta be tough. Don't think you need to be superwoman - do your best, and if you don't have time, then maybe you have to shift some things around or cut others out (something I'm continually working on and revising).

Good luck this week!
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 11:15 pm

Went back to the doctor last week and got more meds. Feeling a bit better, but still not quite right. Hoping by the end of the week things will be good to go for vacation. I would hate to feel crappy on the drive down.

Yeah, Pages & Pens is pretty much a one-woman effort. I took it over from Lea that way because I believe in what the groups does, but I think by the end of the year I'll make a decision to put some umph behind it or ditch it. I'm heading toward the latter, but we'll see.

Here's what this week looks like:

* Blogging - Mon - Thurs
* Work on July VBT--almost done. Need to create group press release, banner, and trailer.
* Spring/Summer issue of Pages & Pens
* Critique three subs--DONE
* Work on August, September, and October VBTs--3 August tours and 2 September ones are done! Now onto the 1 outstanding for Aug and the other 2 for Sept
* Make time to look into new biz venture--making progress. Will probably bring to NC with me.
* Write tons of reviews--DONE
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 8:22 pm

Well, I planned to work from NC, but I decided I just needed a break and work could wait. Maybe I am more worn out than I thought.

I found an expert to help me with questions on horses for my ghostwriting project, and I am awaiting his answers. I still hope to finish Chapter 5 and 6 by this weekend.

I'm ahead of the game on tours, which is a big help.

I also read and reviewed tons of books while I was away, so I'm catching up there.

The OBX was lovely, but I am glad to be home too.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 2:50 pm

Sometimes you just need a break. Believe me, I've been there and I understand completely! Hopefully you're feeling better health-wise as well. When you're not feeling well it really knocks you on your feet. Sounds like everything is still moving forward, which is fantastic and it must be a huge relief being ahead on those tours.

Good luck with writing this week. And remember to have fun, too!
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 7:29 pm

I'm much better, thanks. Something is still not right, but at least I don't feel horrible anymore. I might have to go back to the doctor. We'll see what happens.

This was a busy week. I wrote tons of reviews so I can try to catch up on those. Most of my tours are in order and I am starting to plan mine for Little Shepherd this fall. I'm seriously considering self-publishing a couple of the picture books I wrote in May under a pen name. These are books that don't work into my faith-filled journeys for kids brand. I have a friend who could illustrate them, but I don't know how to take her pictures and format the book with my text. That's really the only obstacle to doing this. That and not knowing what she would charge me. Maybe in September I'll take her out to breakfast and we can talk nuts and bolts.

Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 10:00 am

I'm not too on the up-and-up when it comes to self-publishing picture books, mostly because when I get to that point of the style 'guides' from Amazon, B&N, or Smashwords, I sort of skimmed through it (since the only picture I would have is the cover). I know you can do it, though I've heard it's not always easy to get the picture and/or tables formatting correctly. You'd have to check into it. Here's the one for Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52

Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to check it out, but you know what a technology dummy I am. LOL!
Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 10:42 am

I've found self-publishing to be extremely easy (especially if you jump on over to Dean Wesley Smith's 'How to be a Publisher' series - very, very helpful and the comments too). If you format and publish a few short stories to start with, then tackle the picture books it'll be even easier and less daunting.
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 11:19 pm

I'm signed up for his RSS feed. Now I just need to make time to get out there.

Last week was productive. I'm getting caught up on reviews, though there are still some 105 books in my TBR pile. Not all that I have to review, but I would really like to read them. I also have close to 50 other books I've bought or won from blogs that I would like to read.

Here's what the week looks like:

* Blogging Tuesday - Saturday
* Finalize August tours--press release, banner, trailer
* Work on September tours -- great shape. Two tours are done and the third is almost done.
* Work on October tours -- also in great shape. Two done and one I'm working on.
* Plan my Nov/Dec tour--I'm slowly moving on this one.
* Put out a Pages & Pens newsletter and announce closing of Musing Our Children at the end of the year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheryl's 2011 Goals   Cheryl's 2011 Goals - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cheryl's 2011 Goals
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next