The Professional Writers Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A gathering place for writers

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High Empty
PostSubject: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 11:50 am

I've decided this is my year. I may not have any control for when my novels sell, but I do have control over my productivity and my writing.

Goals:

1. Complete my fantasy novel, "Guardian's Vengeance," by the end of March, 2011. This is in time for Dean Wesley Smith's Marketing Workshop in which I will put together my query and synopsis package.

2. Target five publishers and submit "Guardian's Vengeance" by April 2011.

3. Start on a second novel project, including world-building, characters, and story. Complete a final draft of the novel and submit by the end of 2011.

For the moment, my #3 goal is a little vague. I have a story idea I'm tossing around but don't know what kind of research and world-building time-frame I'm looking at. For sure, I'll be moving a lot faster than I did with GV. My initial guess is 1-3 months of research, world, story and character building.

I also need to start seriously thinking about a website some time in the near future...

- Chrissy

sunny
Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 11:52 am

I like to keep up on top of my writing with weekly goals. This is how I did last week...

Still moving forward...and I took off 2 1/2 days. It was really nice; I really, really needed it. Sunday all I did was laundry. I watched 'Bones' and read books all day. It was fantastic. I didn't even have to cook dinner!

However, I did get back on the saddle yesterday and pulled myself (somehow) out of bed at 4:30 this morning.

Total word count last week: 20,182
Total hours: 14.75

Total Word Count for January: 116,881.

My goal was 100,000 and I'd say I blew that one right out of the waters. That was NaNo x 2!

Actually, I'm getting pretty nervous about the next step. I'm going to print out a copy for me and one for my husband and we're both going to read it at the same time. It's scary. I know the story needs tightening and needs work, but I'm someone who likes to be as perfect as possible...and this isn't perfect (nor will it ever be perfect). Still scary though - but it's also exciting. I can't believe this book is nearing the end.
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 12:28 pm

This is so great. I'm glad you took some time off. We all need it.

Try not to be too nervous about the next step. It's tough to edit and tighten, but you're more than up to it.
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 9:38 am

Well. I'm still going strong. Last week was less than usual since I had relatives visiting but I still got in a good 4 days of writing. Not bad considering I did some major house cleaning on top of that.

Total word count: 13,422

Total hours: 9.25

The next two weeks will be a little rough as I've got some pretty major day-job commitments and overtime coming up. I promised my husband I wouldn't kill myself - well, I promised with a smile and a nod which about equals crossing my fingers. I'll do what I can, work hard to put in my 3,500 words per day, and if I can't that's okay.

I have a feeling once this draft is done I'll need to do some serious cutting to get that word count down before handing it off for review. I'll get there. Eventually. I know I'll finish this darn thing.
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 10:55 am

I really don't know how you do it all because you're holding down a fulltime job and still cranking out the words. Kudos to you. That shows just how important it is to you.

Keep up the great work, but try not to kill yourself. It will make your hubby happy. Happy
Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 11:04 am

Well, this week I'm taking the writing slower. Same with last week. All I have to do is survive until Thursday evening, after my work banquet, and then I have a four day weekend! My goal, once Friday hits, is to read and write. That's all. I just have to get there. And I will.

Last week's word count total: 15,021
Hours: 10.75

This week I imagine will look similar, but I don't plan on doing any writing until Friday.
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 11:08 am

Well, it's Thursday, so I bet you're gearing up to put in some writing time. We're heading out to Marlborough tomorrow afternoon to see the latest addition to the Malandrinos family. I can't wait.

Hope you have a productive and fun weekend.

Cheryl
Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Well. It's done. Yep. Redraft of "Guardian's Vengeance" is finished.

In the end, total word count came out to 165,909.

Quite...uh, big. This weekend I ended up writing 19,000 words to finish the book, but it's done and I feel such a wonderful relief. I plan on printing out my book and start on the fun cutting process to get that word count down. My goal is also to write a new 1,000 words per day, whether it's for a short story or the next book, either way - I need to write new words.

I've adjusted my initial writing goals. After a lot of research about the business and the options ahead of me as a writer, I've decided to pursue indie publishing. Careful consideration went into that decision, but I'm so excited and thrilled, not only to be writing as much as I want but having control over my writing. Not only will I be putting my novels up there, but short stories as well. Exciting times are ahead!

- Review "Guardian's Vengeance" to lower word count

- Write 1,000 new words per day

- Start outline/road-map for second Guardian Book

- Create website

- Review & edit Business Plan with new goals

- Work on a Profit & Loss Statement for GV

- Organize writing docs for future audits

- New checking account for business

- Continue researching on indie publishing process
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 10:45 pm

Congratulations! I bet that it a huge relief. I remember how I felt after finishing my first draft of The Sisterhood. having worked on it for years, I couldn't believe I finally typed "The End."

It's wonderful that you're commited to writing something new every day. You've got the right idea.

Good luck with your research. I can't wait to hear who picks up your book.

Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 9:25 am

Well, I was hit by the flu bug this week and I'm still in the thick of it. Hopefully I'll see the tunnel's light soon. I stayed home from work for a few days and managed to get in my 1,000 three out of the four days this week (so far). Today shouldn't be hard to get that in either, and if I'm right, will also put another "The End" on the short story I'm writing.

Writing fast is kinda fun.

Well, as for "who picks up my book" the answer to that is...no one. sunny I've decided to self-publish both my short stories and my novels - get them up as ebooks as well as POD (for the novels, anyway). A lot of thought and time went into that decision, and I won't say this will be 100% for all my books, but right now all my reasoning kept coming back to indie publishing. A lot came from reading Dean Wesley Smith and Kris Kathryn Rusch and all their thoughts and insights on writing as a business.

It's a long-term process and a very exciting one at that!
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 9:34 am

Sorry to hear you got sidelined by the fl. Yuck. Nothing worse than that. Hope you'll be back to tip-top shape by the weekend.

Have you decided who you'll use to self-publish? I'm hearing great things about Amazon's CreateSpace. Some of Pump Up's clients have used them.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 9:37 am

Thanks, CC. I'm feeling better but still not in quite tip-top shape. A few more days and then I can move back to my usual schedule. Until then, no waking up early for the writing. I've been getting in my 1,000 words a day so I'm pleased with that.

Yeah, I'm going to use CreateSpace as I've also heard some great things from them. Very exciting times.

So this is what I've got going this week:

- Cut around 40K from "Guardian's Vengeance" Main goal for this week. I've got one POV character I can cut entirely

- Write 1,000 new words per day Finished short story draft "A Summer's Snow" and started first Heritage story, "Grandma's Secret"

- Create website Currently reviewing themes

- Work on a Profit & Loss Statement for GV and "Summer's Snow"

- Continue researching on indie publishing process Moving forward a little each day
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 12:45 pm

Look at you go! Even sick you put me to shame.

Isn't it interesting that you found a POV character you could cut out? The power of editing. And writing more to boot. Awesome news!

Keep up the great work.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:29 am

Another week is in the pipes and I'm back to my usual healthy self. I haven't been putting in my early morning writing since I got sick, but now that I'm back up to speed I'll be starting that up again.

My editing project has been a lot slower than anticipated, though this is mainly due to me re-drafting the first couple of chapters. I'm not entirely surprised, being Chapter 1 and all, but I don't want to get stuck in the revising like crazy stage to the point where I re-write my voice out entirely. The good thing is I took out one character who wasn't doing anything and beefed up another so he's not quite so two dimensional. So, new stuff all around. We'll see what happens with this project this week. Not sure I'll make my March 25th deadline, but at least I'm working hard at it.

- Cut around 40K from "Guardian's Vengeance" Working hard. See above.

- Write 1,000 new words per day: Only missed one day last week (took Friday off and baked instead). Finished "Grandma's Secret" short story and started "Untold Truths" short story.

- Create website Theme picked - will need both a Publisher and writer website. Need to email friend with details and ideas.

- Work on a Profit & Loss Statement for: "Summer's Snow," "Grandma's Secret," and Guardian's Vengeance when it's completed.

- Continue researching on indie publishing process Dean Wesley Smith has started a new series, 'Think Like Publisher' - very timely and helpful. I'm making a list of what I need to get my business going.
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 4:01 pm

You're amazing. What else can I say? Editing is a slow process, but you've got the right idea and you're happy with how things are coming along, so that's a plus. Great to hear you've got one short story down and another started. I should do some of those, but then when do I write lately?

I saw Dean's new series. I subscribed to his feed, so now I am sure not to miss it.

Hope you have a great week!
Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 6:01 pm

Last week was another productive week and this one is shaping up that way as well. This Saturday I'm driving down to Lincoln City for a week-long workshop on Marketing - exciting and scary all at the same time.

- Cut around 40K from "Guardian's Vengeance" Working hard.

- Write 1,000 new words per day: Finished 3rd short story, "A Forest Waking."

- Create website Theme picked - will need both a Publisher and writer website. Need to email friend with details and ideas.

- Work on a Profit & Loss Statement for: Guardian's Vengeance. Completed for 3 short stories and 2nd GV draft. Need to look at overhead costs and decide

- Continue researching on indie publishing processStill moving ahead.
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 6:11 pm

Glad things are moving along so well. Marketing is fun--well, to strange people like me it is. If you need any advice in that arena, let me know.

Great news on the finishes stories. Are you going to try pitching them soon or are you going to stay focused on your book instead?

Keep up the great work. I can't wait to be able to pick up a copy of your book online!
Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 4:16 pm

I also like marketing - well not promotion, but marketing. It comes easy to me, though I know that's in part from all the nonfiction articles and queries I sent out. In a way, most of you what did in the query was market an idea - an idea you specifically targeted for that magazine. I'm sure I'll be overflowing with information. I'm getting pretty nervous, excited and scared about the workshop - all at the same time of course!

I'll be publishing my short stories also. Actually, I'll do those first to get experience with the layout and cover designs. Don't worry, you'll hear when I start publishing!
Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 11:00 am

Cheryl, you're so good to me - checking up to see where I am. Thanks!

Life has been crazy the past three weeks, in great and fantastic ways, but every time I think about updating my weekly goals I decide to simply do the goals (instead of the update).

First off, I had my first Dean Wesley Smith & Kris Kathryn Rusch workshop (the Marketing one). Oh. My. Goodness. Absolutely fantastic. I can hardly express how much I learned, both in writing proposals, blurbs, and taglines, but also how I can *actually* succeed in my career, especially going both the indie and traditional publishing route. Long, long story short (actually - I suppose it's not very long since all I did was write and sleep): I wrote 6 book proposal (10 pages), two short proposals, and 5 pitches, blurbs and taglines. Oh, and these were all brand-spanking new ideas, due within 24 hours.

Truly amazing. I can't say enough about how wonderful these two writers are.

On top of that, I'm also moving forward with my publishing business and am in the process of clearing my WA state business licence. Very exciting, exciting times.

Writing update:

- Leave tomorrow for second workshop on Character Voice. From what I've heard, this will be even more writing than the last workshop.

- Guardian's Vengeance: Working hard. Read through with line edits/cuts of 9 chapters. Redrafted 2 chapters. Hope to have this 'stack' of chapters done tonight before I leave.

- Short Story - One per week: Finished "Friendship Unmended."

- Book Proposal: Wrote Guardian's Vengeance proposal and blurb. Still need a tagline.

- Websites (Chrissy Wissler & Blue Cedar Publishing): Process moving great. All the parts are there to get started. Will focus on after the workshop.

- Edit Business Plan

- Profit & Loss: Update new short story

- Indie publishing: Working on websites and waiting for my business licence to clear.

- Organize writing docs: Far down on the list. I have a ton to do before I can start posting my work electronically.
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 11:17 am

Holy Toledo, girl. You've been holding out on me. Happy I'm so glad I sent you that PM. This is fantastic. Everything seems to be falling right into place for you. I would love to hear more about those workshops once things calm down. What an exciting time. Keep up the great work!

Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptySat May 14, 2011 9:54 am

Cheryl again reminded me I haven't popped my head in awhile. Since my last update, I finished another week long workshop with Kris and Dean on Character Voice. I hardly even know what to say. Truly amazing stuff. I have no idea if my writing has gotten better because there was simply so much information. I do know my subconscious soaked it in. I'll let you know in a few months and/or years how my writing improved since that's the level of depth we working at. I will say, if they offer the class again I'd probably sign up simply because there was that much going on.

Okay...what have I been up too?

Other than the fact my husband and I started P90X three weeks ago (an intense 90 day workout where you dedicate 1 1/2 hours, six days a week - you can find it here if interested P90X). That's taking time away from writing and relaxing, but I'm still doing a lot of both. And it's totally worth it.

Here has been my very busy writing life:

1. Guardian's Vengeance: Finished 2nd stack of line edits, but still need to enter into computer. Holding off until websites and publishing business have caught up. Wrote book proposal and got initial feedback.

2. Short story per week: Finished "Prom Dates and Softball Bats" and "An Accidental Meeting." Yesterday completed "How to Make a Romance Video Game" - now go through and add character voice stuff from workshop. All need to use highlighter and do character voice exercise on all three stories.

3. Pitches, Blurbs, and Taglines: Completed for short story, "I Don't Believe in Elves" and "A Gangster's Accident." Need to complete for three short stories listed above and three more.

4. Publishing: Need to format "I Don't Believe in Elves" for Sunday's publication date. Also need to do cover. Prepare legal page.

5. Publishing set up: Opened accounts for PubIt!, Smashwords, Kindle, Createspace. Also opened 2 business checking accounts and set up a second Paypal account. Still working on changing email address for Smashwords.

6. Websites: www.chrissywissler.com is coming along great. Tweaking a few more pieces. Almost done except for content, which will come as I upload stories. Next: bluecedarpublishing.com. Also need to buy and register domain name for my romance pen name.

7. Paperwork: Updated writing and publishing expenses spreadsheet. Need to organize and file. Need to update Profit & Loss statements and publication schedule.

8. Short story markets: Submitted "Stolen Bases, Stolen Kisses" to Glimmer Train magazine. Submitted "A Gangster's Accident" to Sword & Sorceress anthology - nice, personal rejection received. Submitted to F&SF the next day.

9. Number one goal: Write something new everyday. I am working on my second novel, Home Run, which is a softball romance. I'm now working on Chapter 6.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyTue May 17, 2011 12:25 pm

Updates:
1. Guardian's Vengeance: Hold until websites finished

2. Short story per week: Added character voice to "To Start Game, Press 'KISS." Playing with an idea for this week's story.

3. Pitches, Blurbs, and Taglines: Completed for "To Start Game, Press 'KISS.' Six more to go.

4. Publishing: Published "I Don't Believe in Elves" short story. To Do: Prepare cover and format on next story. To be published on Sunday.

5. Publishing set up: Still working on changing email address for Smashwords.

6. Websites: Updated site with published short story info.. To do: finish www.chrissywissler.com and then work on Blue Cedar Publishing website.

7. Paperwork: To do: organize and file, update Profit & Loss statements and publication schedule.

8. Short story markets: Two stories out.

9. Number one goal: Write something new everyday. Working on Chapter 11 for Home Run
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyThu May 19, 2011 9:00 pm

Look at you go, girl. You are amazing. Congrats on the new release. I just bought a copy. When you're ready to start talking about it, let me know. I'll get you on my blog.

By the way, are you going to be blogging? If so, I'll help spread the word.

Keep up the great work.

Cheryl
Back to top Go down
ChrissyWissler

ChrissyWissler

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyMon May 23, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks - and thanks for the purchase!

Oh, no blogging for me, but thank you for the offer. I have a hard enough time keeping on top of my writing schedule. The only promotion I'll be doing is putting up new work - which I do every weekend.

1. Guardian's Vengeance: Hold until websites finished

2. Short story per week: Finished "My Elven Shadow." To do: start new story.

3. Pitches, Blurbs, and Taglines: Completed "The Elven Forest Hates Me." Six more to go.

4. Publishing: Published "The Elven Forest Hates Me" short story. To Do: Prepare cover and format on next story to be published on Sunday.

5. Publishing set up: Still working on changing email address for Smashwords.

6. Websites: Added more updates. To do: finish www.chrissywissler.com and then work on Blue Cedar Publishing website.

7. Paperwork: Organize and file, update Profit & Loss statements and publication schedule.

8. Short story markets: Two stories out. Got another rejection. To do: Put story in mail. Make changes to "An Accidental Meeting" and submit.

9. Number one goal: Write something new everyday. Working on Chapter 13 for Home Run
Back to top Go down
ccmalandrinos

ccmalandrinos

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High EmptyWed May 25, 2011 7:29 am

Blogging is fun, but as long as you keep on track with posting new stuff, you should be okay.

"The Elven Forest Hates Me," that made me chuckle. I'll definitely need to read that one. The website is coming along nicely too.

Sorry about the rejection, but I know you'll keep plugging away.

Congrats on all the great stuff going on in your writing world. Keep up the great work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High   Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High Empty

Back to top Go down

Chrissy's 2011 Goals - Rising High
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next